Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Raisin Sauce

     In nineteen seventy one, I was attending college at Angelo State University.  I had never hardly been out of Menard.  I had never gone in a restaurant that had a real life chef serving you the meat, complete with a white chef''s hat.  I was impressed.  Now at the time, I never realized this was a fancy eatery at a retirement center for the rich or well off.  I might not have been as impressed if I had realized this was kind of a glorified nursing.  But, it was a fancy place at that time.  It was called the Candlelight Dining Room.  They were serving ham that first day I ate there.   The chef served me a big slice of ham on my plate.  He next deposited a large scoop of raisin sauce over my slice of ham. This began my love affair with raisin sauce.   I loved it.  I thought to myself, I can make my own raisin sauce at home.  So, I did.  It soon became a family tradition.  But, WE didn't just put it on ham, we put it on everything.  But, our favorite thing to put it on was dressing.  So, it has now become a family tradition to always serve raisin sauce over dressing anytime  we serve turkey and dressing.  So, I have been asked to put my recipe for raisin sauce on my blog by my wonderful daughter and daughter - in- law.  so here it is.

First you need about two cups of raisins.  Place them in medium size sauce pan.  Then, cover them with water.  Add about a cup of brown sugar if you have it.  If you don't have brown sugar, use regular sugar.  Let boil until it has thickened considerably.  Then add on half stick of butter and about four tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.  Let it simmer until it thickens to the right consistency.  You want it to still have quite a bit of liquid in it, but you don't want it to watery.  If it is still to watery, you can always add a little cornstarch.  Trust me, it is really hard to mess it up.  Whatever you do, it is still going to taste like raisin sauce.  Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, John! Now our Christmas dinner will be complete. We'll be thinking of you while we devour your raisin sauce tomorrow! Love, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete