Wednesday, April 9, 2014

3. Favorite Foods

Food.  It just has to be one of my favorite words.  In my younger days, I used to drink a lot of beer.  So, food was not as important to me then.  But, after I quit drinking, over twenty five years ago, food suddenly became more appealing.  It was my new addiction.  I have since learned that controlling my food addiction is almost as hard as controlling my alcohol addiction.  Ha ha just kidding.  My nephew David Pierce once said that Pierce's were just natural born pigs.  I am inclined to agree with him.  Well, here is a list of some of my favorite foods.
     I will start with my favorite meat.  My favorite meat is barbecue brisket.  I don't mean this market trimmed brisket.  I mean good old fat barbecued brisket, cooked slow for about twelve hours.  There is nothing better in the way of meat.
     The next food category I will talk about is my favorite side dishes.  I love any kind of beans, and of course barbecue brisket is not complete without some kind of beans as a side dish.  Another favorite side dish of mine is good old potato side.  I am not picky about what kind of potato salad it is, they are all good.
The smell of potato salad just screams picnic or family reunion.  That smell brings back many pleasant memories.
     The next category of food I want to talk about is vegetables.  Even as a kid, I always loved vegetables.
I planted my own garden when I was eleven years old.  I raised a garden every year until we moved to our present home.  The soil here want grow anything, and if it did, the deer would eat it before it got started.  So, I now have to rely on store bought vegetables.  I have many favorite vegetables, but probably my favorite is squash.  There many ways to cook squash and I like them all.  Squash is also something that brings back many pleasant memories of family reunions and other summer activities.  Another one of my favorite vegetables, is turnips.  Unfortunately, Loveta hates turnips with a passion.  So, I don't get to eat them very often.  I really can't think of a vegetable that I hate, so I will pretty much eat anything you put in front of me.
     The next category of food is sweets.  This is without a doubt, my favorite category  of food.  Anyone who really knows me, knows how much I like sweets.  So, here is a list of a few of my favorites.  I will start with cobblers.  Now how can you go wrong with a cobbler?  It does not matter what kind you make, you know its going to be good.  My mother-in-law used to make a cobbler out squash.  Guess what, it was delicious.  My next favorite dessert is coconut pie.  I have never tasted a bad coconut pie.  Some are better than others but to me they are all good.  I also love lemon pie, and just about any thing with lemon in it.  One of my all time favorite desserts is plain pound cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of it.  Hard to top that.   I get pretty excited when I talk about desserts as you can probably tell.  Last but not least, I love ice cream.  The best is Loveta's home made ice cream, but there is no such thin as bad ice cream.  It's all good from the cheapest store brand to the most expensive.
     Even though barbecue is my favorite meat, my favorite food category is without a doubt, mexican food.  If anyone suggest we go out to eat, and they ask my opinion, nine times out ten I will pick Mexican food.  I just like every thing about it.  I love chili, cheese, beans, and tortillas.  I could virtually live on these four things.  I might not live very long since that would not be a very healthy diet.  But, I would enjoy every bite.
     Well, I could go on and on about food but I am going stop for right now.

1 comment: